The earliest records of a cat club in Wellington date from 1908. Shows were held in Shed 4 on Queens Wharf, and exhibitors traveled there on the train with their cats! Despite this healthy start the two world wars caused a cessation of club activities, and it was not until 1951 that a Mrs Davies began the task of reforming a Wellington based Cat Club.
Wellington Cat Club in its modern form dates from 1956.
An all breeds show is run once a year usually on the last Sunday of June.